What Are the Actions You Might Need to Take?
If You Are Told to Evacuate
- Stay calm.
- Gather what you and your family might need to be away from your residence for a few days (Medicine, wallet, credit cards, Picture ID, etc). Remember that pets are not allowed in shelters.
- As you leave, turn off all of your appliances (except for refrigerator/freezer), and all lights, heating, cooling, or ventilation systems.
- Don't go to your children's school. They may be safe. You may hinder getting them to a safe place. School officials will take care of your children.
- Don't use phones unless someone is injured or very sick. If you must use the phone, keep the call short.
- Do not listen to rumors. Listen to television and radio for up-to-date information.
- Keep car windows and air vents closed. Listen to your car radio for further information as it arises.
If You Are Told To Stay Where You Are (Shelter In Place)
- Go inside. If outdoors, go inside until told to do otherwise. Listen to radio and TV for further information.
- Close all doors and windows.
- Turn off all heating, cooling, and ventilation systems.